CANCELED: Adult Learn to Ride Class
Saturday, April 18 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
This class has been canceled.
It’s never too late to learn to bicycle! Instructors will work one-on-one to assist participants in learning the basics of balancing, starting, stopping and steering a bike, as well as proper helmet fit and adjustment. Most people learn to ride their bike while taking the class, but even if they don’t, they will leave with tips to continue teaching themselves to ride.
- The first step will be balancing on your bicycle; instructors will first remove the pedals and lower the seat enough so that you can put both feet on the ground.
- You’ll learn balance by taking longer and longer steps until you’re “gliding.”
- Then, once you’ve got that down, we’ll show you how to turn confidently and stop smoothly.
- Once you feel comfortable, we’ll reinstall the pedals, so you can incorporate pedaling and learning to steer, and how to steer precisely in circles and figure-eights.
- You’ll finish your lesson by learning how to shift gears so you can handle hills and prepare for more city riding.
Please be sure you can sit on your bike seat with both feet flat on the ground.
If you don’t have a bicycle, we will send information on how to rent one for the class. The cost of bike rental (if needed) will be covered by you, the participant. If the cost of a bike rental is a challenge for you, please email Eliana@sfbike.org or call at 415-431-2453×301. All participants MUST either bring a bike or rent a bike in advance. Bikes will not be available for rental at the class.
All class attendees will receive a free helmet to use for the class and then take home with them!
Please contact Eliana Marcus-Tyler (firstname.lastname@example.org or415-431-2453×301) with any questions about this program.
This class is part of the SFMTA’s Bicycle Safety Education program, presented in partnership with the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. It is made possible by the San Francisco County Transportation Authority through a grant of Proposition K Local Transportation Sales Tax Funds.
*Events not officially sponsored or organized by the SF Bicycle Coalition are marked with an asterisk. We post events that might be of interest to our SF area members; we do not necessarily endorse any particular group or perspective you may find represented here.