The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 45 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
The SF Bicycle Coalition is a partner agency of the sponsor, the SF Safe Routes to School (SRTS) project, working to make it safer, easier, and more fun to walk and bike to school. Bike & Roll to School Week is the SF Bicycle Coalition’s annual celebration for families and schools throughout San Francisco, taking place April 15-19 2019. We expect over 90 schools and thousands of students, parents and school staff to bike to school, with thousands more walking or rolling by scooter, skateboard, or public transit.
The Events Intern will have an inside view of the SF Bicycle Coalition, a vibrant growing nonprofit/advocacy organization, and gain first-hand experience in communications and organizing, working with parents, school communities, partner agencies and the general public to promote and produce this event. Tasks will be tailored to match the intern’s individual interests and our mission: to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation.
Roles and Responsibilities (will vary):
- Help coordinate outreach and online communications to engage families, schools and volunteers
- Develop logistics of the big event and work with volunteers and staff on pre-events
- Assist with marketing and planning, including social media
- Assist with database management, mass emails, other communications
- Data collection and evaluation pre- and post-event
- Represent SF Bicycle Coalition at school and community meetings and events
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong written, online, oral communication skills.
- Comfort and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google tools
- Passion for making San Francisco a better city for biking and living
- Experience in (or willingness to learn) event planning and community outreach
- Ability to get around the city to attend meetings and do outreach
- Ability to work on tasks independently
- A few early mornings and weekends
Desired skills or abilities:
- Graphic design experience
- Photo or video documentation experience
- Willingness to bike in San Francisco
- Bilingual English/Spanish or English Cantonese) a BIG plus
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- First hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- A behind-the-scenes view of a nonprofit agency and citywide partnership
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-15 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly weekday internship, with a few specific weekend evening dates. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of all genders and cultural origins are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.