Biking in San Francisco is one of the best ways to get around town but how do you take care of your sweet ride once you get to your destination? Proper locking technique is key for anyone biking around the city.
As spelled out in the video, here are the steps you need to know to keep your bike secure in SF:
- Get a hardened steel U-lock. You don’t want to skimp on the lock, cheap locks are easy to cut.
- Replace your quick releases on your wheels and seat post with a set of locking skewers. Anything easy to remove is a target for theft.
- Find a secure rack or pole to lock your bike to, nothing that can be easily ripped out of the ground.
- Attach the hardened steel U-lock to the rack through the rear triangle of your bike and the rim of the rear wheel. DON’T just lock the bike through your wheel.
- For added security, attached a secondary lock through your front wheel.
- Last, register your bike with safebikes.org. It’s free and helps police get your bike back to you if it’s ever reported stolen.