The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is transforming our streets and neighborhoods into safe, just, and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. We’re seeking a passionate, highly-motivated individual to power this crucial work by supporting the organization’s diverse communications and marketing efforts.
You will have the opportunity to build upon our ongoing success and help to innovate our approach while working with a dedicated staff and active membership of over 10,000 to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation.
The Communications and Marketing Director will work in tandem with the Executive Director and leadership team to help craft strategic messaging, build a comprehensive communications and marketing plan, respond to urgent media requests and pitch proactive media to develop and strengthen the organization’s constituent and membership engagement ladder. This position will manage a motivated team of communications and marketing staff.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this position will serve in a leadership capacity to build new audiences and constituencies for our work, increase our voice and influence in the community, engage membership to deliver our mission, and manage all aspects of the organization’s brand.
- Manage, support and grow a team of talented communications and marketing professionals;
- As a key member of an organizational leadership team, help set organizational priorities, measure and evaluate progress, and respond to emerging opportunities;
- Coach and provide constructive feedback to all organizational staff to improve writing and communications skills.
- Monitor and safeguard the organization’s brand, voice and influence;
- Develop and deploy quarterly organizational high-level messaging as well as topical messaging and talking points;
- Manage all incoming media inquiries, develop and sustain relationships with media contacts, and proactively increase organizational visibility in the media;
- Oversee production and publication of quarterly Tube Times magazine and weekly Biker Bulletin newsletter;
- Grow the organization’s digital media capacity, including video;
- Manage social media strategy and implementation, growing followers in line with strategic plan;
- Lead refresh of sfbike.org website, blog and digital engagement strategy with members;
- Manage and coordinate organization’s multi-channel communications calendar;
- Support advocacy staff with communications needs in campaign planning and execution; and
- Support program staff by effectively highlighting programmatic accomplishments and earning media exposure.
Candidates must possess the following key qualifications:
- Experience in effectively managing and growing teams, with an emphasis on professional development support for junior staff.
- Be highly collaborative across teams and disciplines.
- Superlative written and verbal communications skills, with a focus on writing for membership and advocacy.
- Experience acting as an on-the-record spokesperson for an organization, as well as experience fielding media requests, developing internal media capacity, developing relationships with media contacts, and handling crisis communications.
- Experience building strategic communications plans.
- Be adaptable and quick-thinking under pressure.
- Strong understanding of brand development and maintenance.
- High level of comfort with web/digital media analytics and experience evaluating performance and adapting planning/projects accordingly.
Strong candidates will also possess the following preferred qualifications:
- A commitment to and passion for the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition’s mission and core values of transportation justice, sustainability, people power, and joy.
- Demonstrated track record of list and social media follower growth.
- Working knowledge of local media landscape.
- Experience working within a membership-based advocacy organization.
- Experience crafting fundraising/membership communications.
- Ability to initiate and grow successful private-nonprofit partnerships.
- Experience managing a budget in excess of $1 million.
- Advanced knowledge of Salesforce, Marketing Cloud and Google Apps suite.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Fluency in languages other than English, especially Spanish, Cantonese and Tagalog.
Salary and Benefits: The annual salary for this exempt position is $75,000-$95,000 depending on depth of experience. Full-time benefits include excellent medical, vision and dental insurance.
Hours: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to transform San Francisco’s streets and neighborhoods into safe, just and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. Our work is guided by our five-year strategic plan and the core values of Transportation Justice, Sustainability, People Power and Joy. The organization’s culture reflects its grassroots origins and professional advocacy in equal measures. Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safe, sustainable and more affordable ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco. People of all races and genders are encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.