The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition transforms our streets and neighborhoods into safe, just, and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. We’re seeking a passionate, highly-motivated individual to power this crucial work by supporting the organization’s diverse communications and marketing efforts.
You will have the opportunity to build upon our ongoing success and help to innovate our approach, while working with a dedicated staff and active membership of over 10,000 to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation.
The Communications and Marketing Director will work closely with the Executive Director and leadership team to help craft strategic messaging, build a comprehensive communications and marketing plan, manage rapid response communications, respond to urgent media requests and pitch proactive media to develop and strengthen the organization’s constituent and membership engagement ladder. This position will manage a motivated and talented team of communications and marketing staff.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this position will serve in a leadership capacity to build new audiences and constituencies for our work, increase our voice and influence in the community, engage membership to deliver our mission, and manage all aspects of the organization’s brand.
- Manage, support and grow a team of talented communications, design and marketing professionals;
- As a key member of the organization’s leadership team, help set organizational priorities, measure and evaluate progress, and respond to emerging opportunities;
- Coach and provide constructive feedback to all organizational staff to improve writing and communications skills.
- Monitor and safeguard the organization’s brand, voice and influence;
- Develop and deploy quarterly organizational high-level messaging as well as topical messaging and talking points;
- Manage all incoming media inquiries, develop and sustain relationships with media contacts, and proactively increase organizational visibility in the media;
- Oversee production and publication of quarterly Tube Times print magazine, and digital mass communications and newsletters.
- Direct social media strategy and implementation across Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, growing followers in line with strategic plan;
- Manage and coordinate organization’s multi-channel communications calendar;
- Support staff with communications needs in campaign planning and execution; highlighting programmatic accomplishments and earning media exposure, and ensuring the success of membership, fundraising and events appeals and invitations
Candidates must possess the following key qualifications:
- Experience in effectively managing and growing teams, with an emphasis on professional development support for junior staff.
- Be highly collaborative across teams and disciplines.
- Superlative written and verbal communications skills, with a focus on writing for membership and advocacy.
- Experience acting as an on-the-record spokesperson for an organization, as well as experience fielding media requests, developing internal media capacity, developing relationships with media contacts, and handling crisis communications.
- Experience building strategic communications plans.
- Be adaptable and quick-thinking under pressure.
- Strong understanding of brand development and maintenance.
- High level of comfort with web/digital media analytics and experience evaluating performance and adapting planning/projects accordingly.
Strong candidates will also possess the following preferred qualifications:
- A commitment to and passion for the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition’s mission and core values of transportation justice, sustainability, people power, and joy.
- Demonstrated track record of list and social media follower growth.
- Working knowledge of local media landscape.
- Experience working within a membership-based advocacy organization.
- Experience crafting fundraising/membership communications.
- Experience managing a budget in excess of $1 million.
- Advanced knowledge of Salesforce, Marketing Cloud and Google Apps suite.
- Familiarity with WordPress, HTML, Google Ads and analytics.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Fluency in languages other than English, especially Spanish, Cantonese and Tagalog.
Salary and Benefits: The annual salary for this exempt position is $75,000-$95,000 depending on depth of experience. Full-time benefits include excellent medical, vision and dental insurance.
Hours: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to transform San Francisco’s streets and neighborhoods into safe, just and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. Our work is guided by our five-year strategic plan and the core values of Transportation Justice, Sustainability, People Power and Joy. The organization’s culture reflects its grassroots origins and professional advocacy in equal measures. Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safe, sustainable and more affordable ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco. People of all races and genders are encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.