The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is seeking a highly-organized, detail-oriented and enthusiastic Event Planner to help successfully plan and execute events related to furthering our mission, including raising funds and engaging members and the general public to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation.
Status: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Development Director
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on experience and qualifications
Application deadline: Until position is filled
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
Through day-to-day advocacy, education and working partnerships with government and community agencies, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is dedicated to creating safer streets and more livable communities for all San Franciscans by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation.
Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safer, greener and more efficient ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco. Our members donate over 10,000 volunteer hours a year.
The SF Bicycle Coalition Event Planner will be responsible for successfully designing, organizing and coordinating large and small events for the SF Bicycle Coalition. Large-scale signature events include Bike to Work Day, Golden Wheel Awards, Tour de Fat and Winterfest. Smaller events may include member bike rides, donor luncheons, house parties and neighborhood mingles. The Event Planner will be responsible for leading the organization’s work to raise the bar of these already-successful events and ensure that the attendees leave with a positive experience and deepened connection to our mission.
We are looking for someone who is highly organized, creative and motivated to plan amazing events. The successful candidate will need to work well with teams in sometimes very fast paced environments.
The Event Planner reports to the Development Director, manages interns and volunteers, and works closely with other key staff members in the membership, development, communications, advocacy and program teams.
Responsibilities may include, but not be limited to
- Organizing a wide range of member-focused and public events
- Outlining the scope of events to align with organization’s strategic objectives
- Aligning events with budgeted revenue goals, ensuring a focus on fundraising objectives
- Scouting and securing event venues and contracting and managing vendors
- Procuring supplies and monitoring event expense
- Assisting with corporate sponsorships
- Overseeing event communications, including working with internal teams for time lines and execution for the communications associated with each event
- Managing interns and volunteers for large scale events to assist with event planning and execution
- Setting goals and expectations for SF Bicycle Coalition staff at events
- Managing ticketing systems
- Ensuring that no physical detail is overlooked or mismanaged
- Working with other SF Bicycle Coalition staff to develop new events to increase membership recruitment and donor retention
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds and be comfortable riding a bike with a trailer
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 1-3 years events work experience
- Event planning and management experience bringing an event from conception/planning stages through to implementation and completion.
- Experience with CRM systems, experience with Salesforce.com preferred
- Enthusiasm for bicycling and the mission of the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Self-directing initiative
- Keen sense of judgment to handle complex logistics around event planning
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal)
- High attention to detail
- Strong time-management skills
- Extremely organized, able to multi-task and work under pressure in a team environment with enthusiasm and humor
- Ability to adapt to existing systems and improve upon them
How to Apply
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit them by clicking “Apply for Position” below. Be sure to mention where you saw the opening advertised. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply via mail, please enclose your resume and cover letter in a sealed envelope and mail to:
Brian Wiedenmeier, Development Director
San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
1720 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
Please, no phone or in-person inquiries.
UPDATE: We are no longer accepting applications for the Event Planner position. If you have questions, please contact Brian.