The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is seeking a Program Coordinator. This position will represent the organization to members and the broader community and assist with the execution of two of the SF Bicycle Coalition’s primary program areas.
Hours: Full time
Reports to: Program Director
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
Through day-to-day advocacy, education and working partnerships with government agencies and community organizations, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is dedicated to creating safe streets and more livable communities for all San Franciscans by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation.
Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safe, green and more efficient ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco. Our members donate over 10,000 volunteer hours per year.
We are looking for a committed and motivated Program Coordinator to manage our famous Valet Bicycle Parking Program, where we offer free, friendly, and convenient bike parking at public and private events. We host Valet Bicycle Parking at hundreds of events every year, including all San Francisco Giants home games.
The Program Coordinator will also manage our innovative Community Bike Builds Program. Transportation is the second-highest household expense for San Franciscans after housing itself. At our Community Bike Builds, we work with community-based partners to distribute bikes to those who will benefit most from the affordable transportation. We reclaim abandoned bikes from government agencies and repair them with volunteers before distributing them with the help of various community groups. In addition to a bicycle, all participants receive a helmet, U-lock, lights and basic urban bicycling instruction.
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to:
Valet Bicycle Parking
- Managing the Valet Bicycle Parking schedule, including scheduling valet supervisors and volunteers;
- Recruiting, training, and supervising a staff of Valet supervisors;
- Managing a team of volunteers at Valet Bicycle Parking Events;
- Maintaining an inventory of Valet equipment and coordinating pick-up and delivery with Valet staff;
- Submitting payroll and expense reports for Valet program;
- Ensuring SF Bicycle Coalition’s presence is on-brand, looks professional and is utilizing the appropriate marketing items;
- Determining event-specific customer bike parking needs such as Valet site location, equipment, staffing and related logistical concerns;
- Efficiently managing event contracts, billing and sponsorships;
- Obtaining appropriate permits from City agencies for Valet Bicycle Parking;
- Collaborating with the Volunteer Coordinator to provide meaningful and engaging volunteer opportunities;
- Marketing Valet Bicycle Parking to new customers;
Community Bike Builds
- Sourcing and transporting donated bicycles for the Community Bike Builds program;
- Transporting tools, training materials, and helmets or other necessary items to bike build locations;
- Managing a team of volunteers at bike build events;
- Coordinating with warehouse staff for the delivery of bicycles to bike build locations;
- Coordinating day-of-event details with community-based partners;
- Teaching introductory bike education course to bike build attendees;
- Coordinating event-specific bike build needs with community-based partners such as site location, food for community members and volunteers, space requirements, etc;
- Cultivating relationships with community-based organizations in underserved communities to host future bike builds;
- Working with Development staff to manage bike build grants and to report metrics;
- Ability to move 60 pounds by bicycle trailer to events throughout San Francisco.
Desired qualifications include:
- A deep commitment to the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition’s mission;
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills;
- Volunteer management experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and relational skills;
- An ability to work individually and as part of a team;
- Experience leading groups or individuals;
- Familiarity working with underserved communities;
- Volunteer experience or community involvement a plus;
- Commitment to/interest in the nonprofit sector;
- Fluency in languages other than English a plus, specifically in Spanish, Cantonese, or Tagalog.
Salary and Benefits
The annual salary for this position is lower-$40,000s or higher, depending upon relevancy of experience. Full-time benefits include medical, vision and dental insurance.
How to Apply
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit them by clicking “Apply for Position” below. Be sure to mention where you saw the opening advertised. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply via mail, please enclose your resume and cover letter in a sealed envelope and mail to:
San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
1720 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94102
You are also welcome to drop the envelope off in-person.
UPDATE: We are no longer accepting applications for the Program Coordinator position. If you have questions, please contact Ana.