The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition seeks a Visual Designer to join our team to design new marketing collateral and optimize current ones for growing our member and subscriber base, articulating the impact of our programs, educating the public about our advocacy work and increasing engagement. If you are passionate about increasing the reach of bicycle advocacy across San Francisco and have a passion for our Core Values — Transportation Justice, Joy, Sustainability and People Power — this is your chance to create highly visible work that makes our city a better place to live, work and play.
Hours: Full time, with occasional evenings for special events throughout the year
Reports to: Communications and Marketing Director
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and most effective advocacy groups in the country for people who bike. For more than 45 years, the SF Bicycle Coalition has developed a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements through engaging the public in our work.
The Visual Designer will provide direct support to the Marketing and Communications team and collaborate with colleagues across the organization’s staff. Along with the Marketing and Communications team, the Visual Designer will lead the way in designing all digital, event-related, email communication, and print needs to further the SF Bicycle Coalition’s work towards the goals including in our newly adopted Strategic Plan.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Create impactful, cause-based marketing materials in support of SF Bicycle Coalition campaigns and events ranging from emails, digital ads, bus and bus stop ads, pamphlets, flyers, infographics, posters, special events, landing pages, web-based (HTML) projects, and more;
- Communicate effectively with colleagues across teams to support the needs of multiple functions; able to partner closely with non-design partners, ability to manage relationships with vendors and other stakeholders;
- Design impactful, cause-based marketing collateral;
- Manage seasonal part-time intern(s);
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong visual aesthetic and proven expertise in composition and layout, color theory, photography, illustration and typography;
- Mastery of the Adobe Creative Suite;
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple, competing deadlines in a busy work environment;
- Experience with print design (fundraising mailers, the Tube Times, etc.);
- Experience designing within brand guidelines but also leading the evolution of an organization’s brand; ability to convey brand across multiple media platforms
- Acute attention to detail;
- Strong collaborative skills;
- Clear interpersonal communication;
- Working knowledge of HTML;
- Dedication to efficiency and timeliness; and
- Strong commitment to the SF Bicycle Coalition’s mission and the values in our Strategic Plan.
Desired (but not required) skills or abilities:
- Language skills, including Chinese, Spanish or Tagalog; and
- Salary starting at $50,000 depending upon qualifications and experience
- Flexible work arrangement policy
- The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition offers a competitive benefits package
- Generous vacation policy
- All federal holidays off
- Allocated budget for professional growth
- Indoor bike parking provided
Submit a compelling cover letter, resume and a link to your design portfolio as PDFs in either your cover letter or resume using the form linked below. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.