- This event has passed.
BIKING WITH CHILDREN August 12, 2021
Thursday, August 12, 2021 @ 4:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Please register here.
Riding bikes with your kids is one of the best ways to solve logistical problems while getting exercise outdoors and spending quality time with your young ones. There is really no more inspiring and creative way to get around and engage your surroundings! And you can do it while remaining socially distanced during this time.
Register for this free class to learn about all the cycling options for kids and parents, as well as tips, tricks, and tools for biking with your children safely and conveniently.
The class will cover:
- Riding with children at a variety of ages, from preschool through 5th grade;
- The road to confidence: what to do if you’re excited but still nervous about riding with your kids (We’ve all been there!);
- Rules of the road as they relate to young riders and their parents or guardians;
- Route planning for rides with kids;
- Tips and contagious enthusiasm from experienced parent/guardian bike riders, based on lived experience;
- Information on keeping you and your young one safe at every stage of development
If you are family-bike curious, already bike and are considering incorporating your children into bicycling, or are riding with your kids and yearn for a community to share questions, knowledge, and inspiration — join us!
If you have questions about the class or how to use Zoom, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The class will be led by Karen Wiener, who is the mother of Ida (who is 3 years old) and the co-owner of The New Wheel, an electric bicycle shop in San Francisco. She became involved in family bicycling through her work over the last ten years and has had the opportunity to work with hundreds of parents who use bicycles for both utility and leisure, on electric and non-electric cycles. As a parent, she has gained a deep understanding and appreciation for the potential of bicycles to help transform our options for action in our most mundane and most universal challenges (think school drop off, grocery runs, personal mental health, global warming…).
This workshop is presented in collaboration with the SF Safe Routes to School Partnership.
*Events not officially sponsored or organized by the SF Bicycle Coalition are marked with an asterisk. We post events that might be of interest to our SF area members; we do not necessarily endorse any particular group or perspective you may find represented here.