- This event has passed.
RESCHEDULED: Adult Learn to Ride Workshop
Saturday, December 8, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
This class was originally scheduled for Nov. 17, but was rescheduled due to poor air quality.
We’re excited to partner with NOW Hunters Point to bring our popular Adult Learn to Ride class to the City’s Southeast!
It’s never too late to learn to bicycle! Instructors will work one-on-one to teach the basics of balancing, starting, stopping and steering a bike, as well as proper helmet fit and adjustment. Most people learn to ride their bike while taking the class, but even if they don’t, they will leave with tips to continue teaching themselves to ride.
- The first step will be balancing on your bicycle; instructors will first remove the pedals and lower the seat enough so that you can put both feet on the ground.
- You’ll learn balance by taking longer and longer steps until you’re “gliding.”
- Then, once you’ve got that down, we’ll show you how to turn confidently and stop smoothly.
- Once you feel comfortable, we’ll reinstall the pedals, so you can incorporate pedaling and learning to steer, and how to steer precisely in circles and figure-eights.
- You’ll finish your lesson by learning how to shift gears so you can handle hills and prepare for more city riding.
Please be sure you can sit on your bike seat with both feet flat on the ground.
If you have your own bike, bringing your bike is recommended. If you don’t have a bicycle, we can provide one for you at no cost for use during the class, through the generosity of NOW Hunters Point. All participants MUST either bring a bike or request a bike in advance! Extra bikes will not be available at the class!
Please contact Christopher White (email@example.com) with any questions about this program.
*Events not officially sponsored or organized by the SF Bicycle Coalition are marked with an asterisk. We post events that might be of interest to our SF area members; we do not necessarily endorse any particular group or perspective you may find represented here.