The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is proud to have a very active and professional all-volunteer Board of Directors. Most Board members have dedicated numerous years of service and lending of talents to a wide range of organizational needs. The process for Board elections is outlined below. Board members are elected for 2-year terms. Every year approximately half of the board seats are up for election, and board members may or may not decide to run again as incumbents.
Active SFBC members may self-nominate or be nominated by others for consideration as a Board candidate. Interested members should review the minimum expectations for an SFBC Board Member in our Board Roles & Responsibilities Summary, and the following list of activities and dates related to the Board nominee endorsement process.
The goals of the Board nominee endorsement process are 1) to provide nominees with an opportunity to learn more about the responsibilities and activities of the Board, 2) for the current Board and Executive Director to evaluate if a nominee meets the minimum expectations and, if elected, would enhance the skills, capacity, and diversity of the SF Bicycle Coalition’s Board of Directors, and 3) to serve voting members by highlighting the candidates the current Board has determined can best advance the mission of the SF Bicycling Coalition.
Nominees who do not apply for Board endorsement or who are not endorsed by the Board may still run for the Board.
2016–17 SFBC Board Member Nomination, Endorsement and Election Process:
2015 Deadlines & Details
- Sept. 8: Process for Board nomination, endorsement, and election with member voting announced (Biker Bulletin and www.sfbike.org/news/2015-board-elections).
- Sept. 23: Deadline for endorsement applicants to submit their Application and current resume (email to email@example.com or mail it to SF Bicycle Coalition, Attn: Board Development Committee, 1720 Market St., San Francisco, CA 94102; paper nominations, resumes and Applications sent via mail must be received by Sept. 23.)
- Nov. 3: SFBC Board Meeting: Board chooses nominee(s) to endorse.
- Nov. 6: Deadline for all nominees’ names to be submitted to be on the ballot, and for all nominees to send a statement up to 150 words to be published in conjunction with the ballot. (Nominees email their names and statement to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to SF Bicycle Coalition, Attn: Board Development Committee, 1720 Market St., San Francisco, CA 94102; paper nominations and statements sent via mail must be received by Nov. 6.)
- Nov. 15: Early voting begins.
- Dec. 30: Last day to vote.
- January, 2016: 2016–2017 Board of Directors announced (Biker Bulletin and www.sfbike.org).
The detailed version of the board member nomination, endorsement, and election process can be downloaded here (PDF).