The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is looking for an experienced, savvy communications professional to advance our work promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. The Communications Director will lead our communications strategy to support efforts outlined in our Strategic Plan while maintaining and strengthening the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition brand.
This position is a highly strategic one, leading online, social media, print, PR, media and brand management initiatives in a fast-paced environment. Qualified candidates will have extensive experience leading successful communications strategies for a variety of dynamic teams.
- Developing and maintaining a comprehensive communications plan and editorial calendar that proactively advance specific campaign goals and overall organizational goals
- Overseeing extensive and diverse organizational content development and messaging strategy
- Serving as editor-in-chief and project manager for all major communications channels and publications, including the website, blog, mass email, the Tube Times, annual report, and more
- Working with staff to develop and hone messages on strategic and sensitive advocacy campaigns
- Crafting and executing proactive media outreach across all platforms, including traditional, new media and social media
- Executing rapid response for breaking news stories
- Developing and maintaining relationships with bloggers, television bookers, print reporters, columnists and editorial staff
- Organizing compelling news conferences and media events
- Managing the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition brand
- Overseeing the organization’s website including its look and feel, information architecture, navigation, and overall user experience
- Working with SF Bicycle Coalition staff to set communications goals, learn new communications skills, and track and report on success
- Honing multi-channel fundraising messages to align with organizational voice and effectively grow contributed revenue
- Working with all parts of the organization in developing marketing materials for programs, events, and campaigns
- Managing a team of staff focused on communications and graphic design
The successful candidate will bring the following skills and attributes to the position:
- Highly strategic thinker and a strong self-starter
- Strong, concise and fast writer
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong track record working with new, social, and traditional media
- Experience and competency in brand strategy
- Conversant and able to edit in Adobe Creative Suite and HTML; experience with Salesforce, Google Analytics, and online email marketing and advocacy tools
- Comfort in navigating the constantly changing technology aspects of successful communications
- Ability to work quickly and cooperatively under pressure
- Energetic outlook and commitment to our mission
- Strong track record in project management
- Exceptional management skills to oversee a team of staff, interns, and volunteers
- Experience and enthusiasm for leading and training a team in communications best practices and strategies
- A background in advocacy or campaigns
Candidates for this position should have five or more years of relevant professional experience. Experience working in non-English media a bonus.
The position will report to the SF Bicycle Coalition’s Executive Director and work closely with a talented team of staff, Board members, and volunteers.
Salary & benefits for this position are commensurate with the successful candidate’s relevant professional experience. We offer a competitive benefits package and the opportunity to work in a dynamic environment for a successful and well-respected nonprofit organization.
How to Apply:
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the position advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No walk-ins or calls, please.