The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is transforming our streets and neighborhoods into safe, just, and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. We’re seeking a seasoned, highly-motivated individual to power this crucial work by directing the organization’s diverse fundraising efforts.
You will have the opportunity to build upon our ongoing success and help to innovate our approach, while working with a dedicated staff and active membership of over 10,000 to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation. While the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has diverse revenue streams and healthy finances, opportunities exist for even greater growth and diversification of our revenue. We are looking for a strong, creative leader in the fundraising field who will help our organization grow to the next level.
The Development Director’s primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Leading an effective team focusing on membership growth and donor cultivation and stewardship;
- Overseeing and increasing our major gifts program;
- Expanding foundation grant funding;
- Collaborating with our Membership Manager to grow and diversify our membership, particularly in the areas of business membership and monthly sustainers;
- Collaborating with our Development Associate to ensure smooth and timely gift transmittal processes and grant pipeline management as well as manage our discount partner program;
- Collaborating with our Marketing and Events Manager on major fundraising and membership events throughout the year;
- Overseeing our corporate sponsorship program;
- Assessing opportunities for income growth and diversification;
- Working directly with our Board of Directors, key supporters and sponsors, as well as organizational partners;
- Optimizing our systems and structure to support fundraising efforts; and
- Playing an active role in budgeting and forecasting.
Candidates must possess the following key qualifications:
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills;
- Five years or more of progressively increasing responsibility in nonprofit fundraising;
- Successful track record in soliciting gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations in an annual revenue setting of at least $1-$5 million;
- Experience managing development and allied staff;
- Experience in staffing an Executive Director, Board and other peer solicitors in “moves management” of major donors and prospects;
- Successful project planning and strategy implementation;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills;
- Budgeting and forecasting experience;
- Exceptional, proven writing skills for a diversity of media and audiences;
- Team player, willing to partner with program, communications and operations leadership; and
- High degree of cultural competence.
Strong candidates will also possess the following preferred qualifications:
- A commitment to and passion for the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition’s mission and core values;
- Extensive CRM experience, preferably with Salesforce;
- Successful design and execution of multi-channel campaigns using direct marketing, online solicitations, social media and related fundraising vehicles;
- Successful experience with third-party fundraisers;
- Experience with data visualization to communicate progress;
- Experience working for and collaborating with a membership-based organization;
- Bilingual language skills in English and another language, especially Spanish, Cantonese or Filipino; and
- Flexibility to work occasional nights and weekends.
Salary and Benefits: The annual salary for this exempt position is $75,000-$100,000 depending on depth of experience. Full-time benefits include excellent medical, vision and dental insurance.
Hours: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Deputy Director
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to transform San Francisco’s streets and neighborhoods into safe, just and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. Our work is guided by our five-year strategic plan and the core values of Transportation Justice, Sustainability, People Power and Joy. The organization’s culture reflects its grassroots origins and professional advocacy in equal measures. Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safe, sustainable and more affordable ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco. People of all races and genders are encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.