The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is seeking energetic and organized individuals interested in providing first-class service to come be a part of our famous Valet Bicycle Parking team as Bicycle Valet Attendants. Candidates must have a flexible schedule, with availability on days, nights, and weekends. If you want to further the mission of the SF Bicycle Coalition by helping provide safe and secure bike parking at events all over San Francisco, we’d love to hear from you!
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition was founded in 1971 by a group of activists representing a coalition of environmental and neighborhood groups and is one of the oldest bicycle advocacy groups in the nation. For over 50 years, the SF Bicycle Coalition has furthered its mission – to transform San Francisco’s streets and neighborhoods into safe, just, and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation – through its grassroots political organizing and broadening civic engagement. With its dual 501(c)(3) and (c)(4) structure and $2.5 million annual budget, SF Bicycle Coalition has grown to add community-based programs to expand access to bicycles, education programs on safe biking practices, and partnerships with other transit-focused organizations.
Bicycle Valet Attendants oversee site-specific valet bike parking operations for events citywide. Bicycle Valet Attendants are responsible for representing the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition, as well as our mission and policies, to event organizers, volunteers, and the general public. Bicycle Valet Attendants are also responsible for on-site volunteer training, care and management.
A Bicycle Valet Attendant:
- Arranges drop-off/pick-up of supplies at event site
- Sets up and breaks down events
- Ensures appropriate location signage and banners are displayed, all parked bikes are tagged, donation box is out and visible, outreach materials and signage is displayed on table, when available
- Troubleshoots issues and resolves problems facing the Valet Bicycle Parking Program and SF Bicycle Coalition Volunteers
- Is sensitive to opportunities to improve the quality, efficiency and effectiveness of San Francisco Bicycle Coalition work
- Maintains an effective manner and demeanor and sets an example for others
- Is a proactive problem solver dedicated to ensuring a high-quality experience for all
- Keeps track of the membership envelope, any membership forms and any donations and arranges their secure return to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Attends SF Bicycle Coalition’s Bicycle Ambassador Training at least one time per calendar year and is effective in explaining current SF Bicycle Coalition policies, goals, objectives, programs and activities.
- Commitment to providing a top-quality Valet Bicycle Parking experience for all guests
- Ability to train and manage volunteers
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Comfortable working outdoors
- Ability to lift 25-50 pounds required
- Ability to lift bikes and gently place them about 4 feet off the ground
- Ability to use bike to pull trailer of supplies weighing approx. 70 pounds (trailer provided by SF Bicycle Coalition)
- Must have own bike and be comfortable biking in San Francisco.
Volunteer experience with our Valet Bicycle Parking program is a plus.
Hours: Flexible, part-time to full time, seasonal work. Includes days, nights, and weekends
Reports to: Valet Bicycle Parking Program Coordinator
Compensation: Pay is $21/hour for all events.
To Apply: please use the form to submit a resume and a PDF with your answers to the below three questions. A formal cover letter is not required. Please make your answers roughly one paragraph each:
- What makes you excited to work at the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition?
- What does transportation justice mean to you and how do you see it fitting into your career?
- What skills and/or experiences do you have that would make you a good fit for this role?
Commitment to Equity and Justice
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and acknowledges the harm biking culture and inequitable access to transportation have inflicted upon marginalized communities — including people of color, people with disabilities, people from working-class backgrounds, women, and people with LGBTQ+ identities. We believe that these communities must be centered as leaders in the work we do; therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people with relevant lived experience. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.