- This event has passed.
Adult Learn to Ride
Saturday, September 18, 2021 @ 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
This class is in English and Tagalog. Para sa Tagalog, mag-click dito.
It’s never too late to learn to bicycle! Instructors will work one-on-one to assist participants in learning the basics of balancing, starting, stopping and steering a bike, as well as proper helmet fit and adjustment. Most people learn to ride their bike while taking the class, but even if they don’t, they will leave with tips to continue teaching themselves to ride.
- The first step will be balancing on your bicycle; instructors will first remove the pedals and lower the seat enough so that you can put both feet on the ground.
- You’ll learn balance by taking longer and longer steps until you’re “gliding.”
- Then, once you’ve got that down, we’ll show you how to turn confidently and stop smoothly.
- Once you feel comfortable, we’ll reinstall the pedals, so you can incorporate pedaling and learning to steer, and how to steer precisely in circles and figure-eights.
- You’ll finish your lesson by learning how to shift gears so you can handle hills and prepare for more city riding.
Please be sure you can sit on your bike seat with both feet flat on the ground.
Covid protocols: If you’re not vaccinated, you are required to wear a face covering for the duration of the class. If you’re fully vaccinated (meaning two weeks after the second dose of the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines or after the J&J vaccine) you are not required to wear a face covering. We also encourage students and instructors to complete a self-health screening before arriving to the class (details will be sent in the confirmation email). We will have masks, hand sanitizer, alcohol spray, and wipes on-site for anyone to use.
All participants MUST either bring a bike or rent a bike in advance. Bikes will not be available for rental at the class. If you don’t have a bicycle, we will send information on how to rent one for the class. The cost of bike rental (if needed) will be covered by you, the participant. If the cost of a bike rental (about $20) is a challenge for you, please email Eliana@sfbike.org or call at (415) 409-9416, as we have some limited funding available for rentals.
Please contact Eliana Marcus-Tyler (firstname.lastname@example.org/415-409-9416) with any questions about this program.
Please note: By providing your name and contact information through registration, you are consenting to this information being used for contact tracing should that become necessary.
This class is part of the SFMTA’s Bicycle Safety Education program, presented in partnership with the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. It is made possible by the San Francisco County Transportation Authority through a grant of Proposition K Local Transportation Sales Tax Funds.
*Events not officially sponsored or organized by the SF Bicycle Coalition are marked with an asterisk. We post events that might be of interest to our SF area members; we do not necessarily endorse any particular group or perspective you may find represented here.