- This event has passed.
Gals With Gears: Gals’ Pride Ride
Sunday, June 30, 2019 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
Gals with Gears is a member-led group of the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. The Gals lead monthly scenic rides geared towards women aged 50-plus-years young, although all riders are welcome.
Show your PRIDE, Gals! Don your bright and beautiful rainbow gear and we will ride with pride to the top of Twin Peaks to see the famous “Pink Triangle” honoring San Francisco’s LGBT community.
We will ride through the Panhandle into Golden Gate Park and exit the Park onto 7th Avenue. The route goes gradually uphill from here along Laguna Honda Hwy to Portola Avenue. The bike lane is well-marked. Turning left on Portola, we’ll stay to the left and wait for the traffic signal to turn onto Twin Peaks Blvd for the mile-long climb to Twin Peaks. After resting and taking in the views (Porta-potties, food trucks), we’ll descend swiftly on Twin Peaks Blvd to Clarendon, then cross over 17th (tricky – we’ll regroup here) to circle southeast around Buena Vista Park, to Broderick, and descend sharply down Broderick back to our starting point at Broderick and Fell. For those of you using Map My Ride, here’s the route.
Optional: After the ride, Gals can partake in the City’s 49th PRIDE DAY festivities in City Hall Plaza, site of the Pride Day Parade post-party.
Arrive By: 9:30 am for a 9:45 am start
Start/End: Western Entrance to the Panhandle near the William McKinley Statue
Distance: 7.5 miles. 700 feet of climbing and two curving, steep descents.
• We ride at a relaxed pace and will not leave anyone behind.
• RSVP required. Helmet and basic riding skills required.
• Not had your bicycle out in a very long while? Please have it checked over by a bike mechanic to be sure it is safe and reliable.
• Rain cancels. Will send a message via Meetup if we cancel to those who RSVP for this ride.
• Bring your questions — Anything you want to know about biking? No question is too basic — probably other Gals will have the same question!
*Events not officially sponsored or organized by the SF Bicycle Coalition are marked with an asterisk. We post events that might be of interest to our SF area members; we do not necessarily endorse any particular group or perspective you may find represented here.