The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 47 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
Bike to Work Day on Thursday, May 9, 2019 is San Francisco’s largest biking event of the year. Tens of thousands of people will join the masses to hop on a bike and pedal to the office. The SF Bicycle Coalition hosts the most robust Bike to Work Day event in the Bay Area with 26 Energizer Stations, urban bike safety classes and workshops, parties, raffles and giveaways leading up to the event to celebrate biking in San Francisco.
What you’ll learn:
- The Bike to Work Day Event Planning Intern will gain valuable skills vital for anyone looking for a career in events. You will learn firsthand what it takes to organize one of the largest events in the city! We will challenge you with a fast-paced, quick-turnaround experience on a hard-working team.
Responsibilities and duties include (but are not limited to):
- Assist in planning and executing logistics for Bike to Work Day including 26 satellite “Energizer Stations”
- Securing in-kind donations for participant incentives using SF Bicycle Coalition relationships
- Coordinating delivery and pick-ups of Energizer Station supplies, donations and equipment
- Outreach to local businesses to distribute Employer Toolkits and get employees involved
- Marketing and promoting the event to maximize engagement
Required skills or abilities:
- Be highly organized, have excellent attention to detail, and be able to meet deadlines
- Be a creative and motivated self-starter
- Be computer-literate and Internet savvy, with direct experience in using MS Office (Excel, Word), Google apps (Docs, Calendar, Gmail).
Desired skills or abilities:
- Have some event planning, logistics or production experience
- Be able to ride a bicycle, haul a bicycle trailer, and lift at least 25lbs
Required dates for this internship include:
- May 2 (Bag Stuffing Party)
- May 8 (Day before Bike to Work Day)
- May 9 (Bike to Work Day)
- The position is unpaid but we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn college credit for their efforts
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- First hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry standard software (Salesforce, Basecamp, WordPress, Google Suite, etc.)
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills
- Indoor bike parking provided
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 8-16 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.