The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 45 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
The Events Intern will gain valuable experience working for a leader in non-profit bicycle advocacy and will help advance the cause of better bicycling in San Francisco. The Events Intern will focus on two main events, the Bluegrass Bicycle and BBQ (November 2, 2019) and Winterfest (November 17, 2019).
What you’ll learn:
The Events Intern will gain valuable skills for anyone looking for a career in events and/or nonprofits. You will learn firsthand what it takes to organize large events. We will challenge you with a fast-paced, quick-turnaround experience on a hard-working team.
Responsibilities and duties include (but are not limited to):
- Assist with marketing and promotion of events, including drafting social media posts, cross-promotion to San Francisco online event calendars, targeted outreach to community groups and local businesses, and more
- Outreach to local artists to secure donated artwork for Winterfest art show
- Outreach to local businesses to secure donated bicycles for Winterfest bike auction
- Assist in event-related communications (blog posts, mass emails, etc.)
- Administrative support and overall assistance with event planning
Desired skills or abilities:
- Exceptionally organized
- Excellent attention to detail
- Able to meet deadlines
- Strong written communication skills
- Interest in bicycle advocacy
- Interest in event planning/event management or career in nonprofits
- Be a creative and motivated self-starter
- Cheerful, friendly, upbeat outlook
- Professional, responsible demeanor
- Be able to ride a bicycle, haul a bicycle trailer, and lift at least 25lbs
- Be computer-literate and Internet savvy
Required dates for this internship include:
- August or September start date (flexible)
- Saturday, November 2
- Friday, November 15
- Saturday, November 16
- Sunday, November 17 – Winterfest (all day)
- End date – December (flexible)
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Firsthand nonprofit experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- Indoor bike parking provided
- Professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry-standard software (Salesforce, WordPress, Marketing Cloud, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.)
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills
- Indoor bike parking provided
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10 – 15 hours/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional, infrequent evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form link provided below. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.