The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 45 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
The event planning intern will primarily assist with Bike to Work Day, San Francisco’s largest biking event of the year. On Bike to Work Day on Thursday, May 14, 2020, tens of thousands of people will hop on a bike and pedal to the office. The SF Bicycle Coalition hosts the most robust Bike to Work Day event in the Bay Area with 28 Energizer Stations, 12 neighborhood bike rides, a rally and more to celebrate biking in San Francisco.
What you’ll learn:
The Events Intern will gain valuable skills for anyone looking for a career in events and/or nonprofits. You will learn firsthand what it takes to organize large events. We will challenge you with a fast-paced, quick-turnaround experience on a hard-working team.
Responsibilities and duties include (but are not limited to):
- Assist in planning and executing logistics for Bike to Work Day
- Securing in-kind donations such as snacks and coffee, to incentivize participants
- Coordinating delivery and pick-ups of Energizer Station supplies, donations and equipment
- Outreach to local businesses to get employees involved
- Marketing and promoting the event to maximize engagement
Required skills or abilities:
- Exceptionally organized
- Excellent attention to detail
- Able to meet deadlines
- Be a creative and motivated self-starter
Desired skills or abilities:
- Have some event planning or logistics experience
- Be able to ride a bicycle, haul a bicycle trailer, and lift at least 25lbs
Required dates for this internship include:
- January 21, 2020 (Intern Orientation Day)
- May 7 (Bag Stuffing Party)
- May 13 (Day before Bike to Work Day)
- May 14 (Bike to Work Day)
- The position is unpaid but we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn college credit for their efforts
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- First hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry standard software (Salesforce, Basecamp, WordPress, Google Suite, etc.)
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills
- Indoor bike parking provided
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 8-16 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form link provided below. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.