The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 45 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
Commitment to Equity and Justice
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition acknowledges the harms biking culture and unequal access to transportation have inflicted upon underserved communities — especially people of color, folks with disabilities, people from working-class backgrounds, women, and those with LGBTQ+ identities. We believe that these communities must be centered as leaders in the work we do; therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities
The Marketing Communications Intern will gain experience in experiential marketing, social media marketing, writing, and building a brand’s presence online. This internship will focus on how we grow and maintain a strong and positive presence online to further our mission of promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. The Marketing Communications Intern will provide direct support to the Marketing Communications Associate.This internship is eligible for remote applicants.
What you’ll learn:
- Social media strategy and content creation
- Copywriting across communication channels
- Introductory WordPress
- Event promotion and marketing
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assisting with content creation for our 53,000-plus followers on social media
- Assisting with bi-weekly production of our e-newsletter
- Publishing blog posts and creating copy for a variety of media
- Maintaining and refreshing website content via WordPress
- Assisting with digital asset management
- Working on video and photography projects is available for the right candidate
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong, concise writing
- Ability to multi-task and triage in a busy work environment;
- Clear interpersonal communication
- Dedication to efficiency and timeliness
- Inclination towards collaboration
Desired skills or abilities:
- Strong commitment to the mission of the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Experience with photography and/or videography, or a strong desire to learn
- Experience generating ideas and content for social media (i.e. Instagram, Twitter, Facebook)
Required dates for this internship include:
- June 7 – August 31, 2022, with possibility of extension into the Fall season
- $16.32 per hour with a 10 – 15 hour/week minimum commitment
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition;
- First hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits;
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry-standard software (Salesforce, WordPress, Marketing Cloud, etc.); and
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills.
- Indoor bike parking provided.
This paid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-15 hours/week minimum commitment. This is a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional, infrequent evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended.
To apply, please submit a resume and a PDF with your answers to the below three questions. A formal cover letter is not required. Please make your answers roughly one paragraph each:
- What makes you excited to intern at the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition?
- What does transportation justice mean to you and how do you see it fitting into your career?
- What skills and/or experiences do you have that would make you a good fit for this role?
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.