The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For over 45 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
Commitment to Equity and Justice
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition acknowledges the harms biking culture and unequal access to transportation have inflicted upon underserved communities — especially people of color, folks with disabilities, people from working-class backgrounds, women, and those with LGBTQ+ identities. We believe that these communities must be centered as leaders in the work we do; therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities
Volunteer and Membership Intern will gain first hand knowledge about the backbone of any grassroots organization — our members and volunteers. In supporting our organization with events such as Volunteer Night, Golden Wheel, and Bike To Wherever Day, the Volunteer and Membership Intern will gain professional experience in nonprofit development and valuable experience in communications, marketing, outreach, and event planning for a thriving nonprofit organization. San Francisco residents encouraged to apply. Remote applicants will be considered.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Represent the SF Bicycle Coalition and recruit members at a variety of outreach events and trainings, as needed.
- Assist with membership and store fulfillment, including maintaining a data-rich Contact Relationship Management (CRM) system (Salesforce) and direct communications with members and volunteers.
- Assist in planning and executing logistics for Golden Wheel and Winterfest 2022
- Assist with our monthly Volunteer Night planning logistics
- Assists with day to day data entry, return mail, website maintenance
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong, concise writing
- Ability to multi-task and triage in a busy work environment;
- Clear interpersonal communication
- Dedication to efficiency and timeliness
- Inclination towards collaboration
- Cheerful, friendly, upbeat outlook
Desired skills or abilities:
- Strong commitment to the mission of the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Experience with community outreach, community event planning
- Administrative experience
- Experience with Salesforce and G-Suite
- Tuesday, June 7th, 2022 – Wednesday, August 31st, 2022
Internship Mandatory Attendance Dates:
- Tuesday, June 7th (Intern Orientation Day)
- Golden Wheel (July 28th, 2022)
- $16.32 per hour with a 10 – 15 hour/week minimum commitment
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition;
- First hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits;
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry-standard software (Salesforce, WordPress, Marketing Cloud, etc.); and
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills.
This paid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-15 hours/week minimum commitment. This is a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional, infrequent evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended.
To apply, please submit a resume and a PDF with your answers to the below four questions. A formal cover letter is not required. Please make your answers roughly one paragraph each:
- What makes you excited to intern at the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition?
- How would this internship contribute to your long term personal and professional goals?
- Please discuss any community outreach and/or volunteer recruitment experience.
- Tell us about yourself (hobbies, interests, etc)
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.