The SF Bicycle Coalition is looking for an experienced leader who can help grow our movement and play a key role in transforming San Francisco’s streets and neighborhoods into safe, just and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation.
The External Affairs Director will work in tandem with the Executive Director and leadership team to help craft strategic messaging, build a comprehensive marketing plan, drive development initiatives, and pitch proactive media in order to develop and strengthen the organization’s constituent and membership engagement ladder. This position will manage a motivated team of membership, development and communications staff.
As the SF Bicycle Coalition begins to make serious progress toward achieving our ambitious strategic plan, we need to redouble our efforts to grow our membership and ensure that our message reaches the widest audience possible. Reporting to the Executive Director, this new position will serve in a leadership capacity to build new audiences and constituencies for our work, grow and engage membership to deliver our mission, and manage all aspects of the organization’s brand.
- Manage, support and grow a team of talented membership, resource development and communications professionals.
- As a key member of an organizational leadership team, help set organizational priorities, measure and evaluate progress, and respond to emerging opportunities.
- Develop and deploy quarterly organizational high-level messaging.
- Manage all incoming media inquiries, maintain and grow existing media relations.
- Oversee production and publication of quarterly Tube Times magazine and weekly Biker Bulletin newsletter.
- In line with the organization’s strategic plan, work with advocacy and program teams to fully develop the organization’s constituent and membership engagement ladder, including developing innovative ways to engage low-income members.
- Grow the organization’s digital media capacity, including video.
- Manage all social media channels, growing followers in line with strategic plan.
- Lead refresh of sfbike.org website, blog and digital engagement strategy with members.
- Manage and coordinate organization’s multi-channel communications calendar.
- Oversee strategic partnerships with private sector, leveraging financial and in-kind support to further organizational goals and objectives.
- Support advocacy staff with communications needs in campaign planning and execution.
- Support program staff by effectively highlighting programmatic accomplishments and earning media exposure.
The ideal candidate will possess many of the following qualifications:
- Experience in effectively managing and growing teams, with an emphasis on professional development support.
- Experience managing a budget in excess of $1 million.
- Superlative written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated track record of list and social media follower growth, including strategy development experience.
- Spokesperson experience, as well as experience fielding media requests, developing internal media capacity, and handling crisis communications.
- Working knowledge of local media landscape.
- Ability to initiate and grow successful private-nonprofit partnerships.
- Strong understanding of brand development and maintenance.
- Experience working within a membership-based advocacy organization.
- Experience crafting fundraising/membership communications.
- High level of comfort with web/digital media analytics and experience evaluating performance and adapting planning/projects accordingly.
- Advanced knowledge of Salesforce, Marketing Cloud and Google Apps suite.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Fluency in languages other than English, especially Spanish, Cantonese and Tagalog.
Salary and Benefits: The annual salary for this exempt position $80,000-$95,000 depending on depth of experience. Full-time benefits include excellent medical, vision and dental insurance.
Hours: Full-time, exempt.
Reports to: Executive Director
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to transform San Francisco’s streets and neighborhoods into safe, just and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. Our work is guided by our five-year strategic plan and the core values of Transportation Justice, Sustainability, People Power and Joy. The organization’s culture reflects its grassroots origins and professional advocacy in equal measures. Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safe, sustainable and more affordable ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco. People of all races and genders are encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.