The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is looking for a committed and motivated Program Coordinator to lead our Valet Bicycle Parking and Bike It Forward Program. You will support our organization’s programmatic work in concert with our 2018-2022 Strategic Plan and our core values of transportation justice, sustainability, people power and joy. You will help grow and diversify our movement and play a key role in transforming San Francisco’s streets and neighborhoods into safe, just and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. This position will collaborate with a dynamic Programs Department of four to five individuals focused on youth and family biking, adult bicycle education, Bike It Forward events, and valet bicycle parking.
The Program Coordinator will manage our famous Valet Bicycle Parking Program, where we offer free, friendly, and convenient bike parking at public and private events. We host Valet Bicycle Parking at hundreds of events every year, including all San Francisco Giants home games.
The Program Coordinator will also manage our innovative Bike It Forward Program. Transportation is the second-highest household expense for San Franciscans after housing itself. At our Bike it Forward Program, we work with community-based partners to distribute bikes to those who will benefit most from the affordable transportation. We reclaim abandoned bikes from government agencies and repair them with volunteers before distributing them in collaboration with various community groups. In addition to a bicycle, all participants receive a helmet, U-lock, lights and basic urban bicycling instruction.
Initially, this position will manage both the Valet Bicycle Parking and Bike It Forward program. In the Spring of 2019, we may choose to evolve these responsibilities into two separate staff positions. We are happy to share more information with interested candidates during the interview process.
Primary responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to:
Valet Bicycle Parking
- Managing the Valet Bicycle Parking schedule, including scheduling Valet supervisors and volunteers;
- Recruiting, training, and supervising a staff of Valet supervisors;
- Managing a team of volunteers at Valet Bicycle Parking Events
- Maintaining an inventory of Valet equipment and coordinating pick-up and delivery with Valet staff;
- Submitting payroll and expense reports for Valet program;
- Ensuring SF Bicycle Coalition’s presence is on-brand, professional and utilizes the appropriate marketing items;
- Determining event-specific customer bike parking needs such as Valet site location, equipment, staffing and related logistical concerns;
- Efficiently managing event contracts, billing and sponsorships;
- Obtaining appropriate permits from City agencies for Valet Bicycle Parking;
- Collaborating with the Volunteer Coordinator to provide meaningful and engaging volunteer opportunities;
- Marketing Valet Bicycle Parking to new customers;
- Ability to move 60 pounds by bicycle trailer to events throughout San Francisco.
Bike It Forward
- Sourcing and transporting donated bicycles for the Bike It Forward program;
- Transporting tools, training materials, and helmets or other necessary items to Bike It Forward locations;
- Managing a team of volunteers at Bike It Forward events;
- Managing a bicycle warehouse and repair facility;
- Coordinating the delivery of bicycles to Bike It Forward locations;
- Coordinating day-of-event details with community-based partners;
- Teaching introductory bike education course to Bike It Forward attendees;
- Coordinating event-specific Bike It Forward needs with community-based partners such as site location, food for community members and volunteers, space requirements, etc.;
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with community-based organizations in underserved communities to host future bike builds; and
- Working with Development staff to identify, apply for, and manage bike build grants and to report metrics
Candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- An ability to work individually and as part of a team;
- High degree of cultural competence;
- Experience working with underserved communities;
- Familiarity with basic computer software systems, including G-Suite;
- Management experience;
- Contract and grant management experience;
- Valid CA drivers license;
- Be a team player, willing partner with development, advocacy, communications and operations leadership; and
- Flexibility and adaptability to evolving responsibilities
Strong candidates will also possess the following preferred qualifications:
- A commitment to and passion for the SF Bicycle Coalition’s mission and core values;
- Experience working for and collaborating with a membership-based organization;
- Experience with event planning and facilities management;
- Volunteer management experience;
- Bike It Forward:
- Mechanic/bicycle industry skills and experience
- Video/Photography or other media experience
- Community outreach experience
- Grant management experience
- Experience working with children and youth
- Experience with job training programs
- Customer service experience
- Sales experience
- Be bilingual in English and another language, especially Spanish, Cantonese or Filipino/Tagalog.
Salary and Benefits: The annual salary for this exempt position is $43,000-$48,000 depending on depth of experience. Full-time benefits include excellent medical, vision and dental insurance.
Hours: Full-time, exempt.
Reports to: Program Director
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to transform San Francisco’s streets and neighborhoods into safe, just and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. Our work is guided by our five-year strategic plan and the core values of Transportation Justice, Sustainability, People Power and Joy. The organization’s culture reflects its grassroots origins and professional advocacy in equal measures. Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safe, sustainable and more affordable ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco. People of all races and genders are encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.