Everyone knows that the SF Bicycle Coalition consistently wins more and better bike lanes across San Francisco, but do you know what our secret power is that makes it all possible? It’s our volunteers and members, and we’re now seeking a new Volunteer and Membership Coordinator to serve as the primary point of contact with these incredibly generous, engaged advocates for people biking.
The Volunteer and Membership Coordinator recruits, organizes and manages all interns and volunteers for the organization’s diverse needs, ranging from program support and event management to on-site membership recruitment. The Volunteer and Membership Coordinator also assists the membership team with the recruitment and retention of the organization’s 10,000 members. They serve as the primary greeter and receptionist at our office, and assist with accounts and member services. This is an amazing opportunity to get to know the everyday people who are making our city a healthier place that’s more welcoming and enjoyable for people biking.
Primary areas of responsibility:
- Manage daytime membership volunteers who assist with membership support tasks;
- Recruit, train, and organize volunteers and interns for all aspects of SF Bicycle Coalition events, including for Bike to Work Day, Winterfest and Bicycle Ambassador events;
- Manage and coordinate volunteers for monthly Sunday Streets events, be on-point as backup for material transport should the
- Program Coordinator need assistance (8-10 Sundays/year);
- Maintain volunteer retention through appreciation, including but not limited to planning and executing biannual Volunteer Appreciation parties;
- Manage Intern Cohort program: assist all staff in advertising and hiring interns on a semester basis; grow and develop intern cohort program, offering professional development opportunities for interns;
- Use Salesforce database to track volunteer hours, recruit and thank volunteers;
- Manage regular and consistent volunteer communications through the Volunteer Newsletter; and
- Integrate volunteer best practices via staff training, intern cohort management, documenting, tracking and leadership.
Membership and Outreach
- Connect members and the broader community with our mission, vision and ways to get involved with our work;
- Manage reception and guest experience, greeting walk-in visitors and developing a set of best practices for all staff to follow when handling walk-in inquiries;
- Triage constituent services, responding to mail, phone and email inquiries;
- Manage member services, including rentals, membership renewals and account updates;
- Manage membership fulfillment processes, executing one to two times a week;
- Manage membership renewal letter processes, executing two times a month;
- Manage walk-in payment for membership and store purchases, as well as special donations;
- Manage SF Bicycle Coalition merchandise, including inventory, new product design, online and in-person sales and premium processes and shipping and handling, and;
- Coordinate staffing and support Outreach Service Stations, new member meet and greets.
Strong candidates will possess as many of the following qualifications as possible:
- A deep commitment to the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition’s mission;
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills;
- Experience with databases or CRM systems (experience in Salesforce a plus);
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a wide variety of audiences;
- Excellent interpersonal and relational skills;
- An ability to work individually and as part of a team;
- Experience leading groups or individuals;
- Demonstrated track record of successful volunteer management and project planning
- Proven record of working well with youth or prior experience with youth development a plus;
- Commitment to and/or interest in the nonprofit sector;
- Fluency in languages other than English a plus;
- Experience successfully coordinating projects with multiple stakeholders;
- Experience sourcing and managing diverse groups of volunteers;
- Desire and ability to implement systems that will allow your work to scale quickly and significantly to be able to reach more people;
- Positive attitude, enjoyment and comfort in working with diverse communities; and
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work history.
Reports to: Membership Manager
Salary and Benefits: The annual salary for this exempt position is lower-$40,000s or higher, depending upon relevancy of experience. Full-time benefits include medical, vision and dental insurance.
Hours: Full-time, exempt. This position includes night and weekend work; depending on the season, approximately three to seven nights per month and one to three weekend days/month.
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to transform San Francisco’s streets and neighborhoods into safe, just and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. Our work is guided by our five-year strategic plan and the core values of Transportation Justice, Sustainability, People Power and Joy. The organization’s culture reflects its grassroots origins and professional advocacy in equal measures. Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safe, sustainable and more affordable ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco.
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.