The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is seeking energetic and organized individuals interested in providing first-class outreach efforts to come be a part of our Bicycle Education team as Bicycle Education Outreach Specialists. Help spread the word about our no-cost bicycle safety classes while doing light-touch safety education. Candidates must have availability primarily on weekends and occasional evenings. If you’re energetic and outgoing and want to further the mission of the SF Bicycle Coalition by encouraging San Franciscans to bike, we’d love to hear from you!
Hours: Occasional part-time work, one to two days per month. Includes primarily weekends and some days and nights
Reports to: Program Coordinator
Bicycle Education Outreach Specialists oversee outreach events at fairs and festivals citywide. Bicycle Education Outreach Specialists are responsible for helping the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition reach thousands of people with bicycle education opportunities and information. Bicycle Education Outreach Specialists are also responsible for materials transport before and after events, and set-up and maintenance at events.
A Bicycle Education Outreach Specialist:
- Promotes the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition’s Bicycle Education Program at assigned events and locations which could include community events, Sunday Streets, and other fairs and festivals in San Francisco;
- Educates the public about the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition’s Bicycle Education Program, including class types, class schedule, Rules of the Road, and more;
- Arranges transport of supplies (including table, tent, display items, etc.) to and from event site; sets up and breaks down supplies at events;
- Ensures appropriate location signage and banners are displayed, outreach materials and signage are displayed on table, educational posters and interactive activity are displayed and visible;
- Engages with event attendees in a friendly, welcoming manner and encourages event attendees to stop and talk, participate in a short interactive activity, and/or sign up for class updates;
- Distributes informational material to event attendees to describe program services and opportunities;
- Tracks interactions with event attendees and maintains detailed records;
- Interfaces with on-site event staff;
- Is responsive to problems on-site facing the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition Bicycle Education Outreach Program and can direct inquiries to Project Coordinator when appropriate;
- Is sensitive to opportunities to improve the quality, efficiency and effectiveness of San Francisco Bicycle Coalition work;
- Maintains an effective manner and demeanor and sets an example for others.
- Friendly, outgoing personality with strong customer service skills;
- Excitement and interest in urban bicycling and ability to convey that enthusiasm to others;
- Commitment to providing a top-quality experience for all those who interact with outreach station;
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (fluency in Spanish, a Chinese language or Tagalog a plus);
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to provide schedule and availability up to three months in advance for scheduling;
- Must have own bike and be comfortable biking in San Francisco;
- Comfortable working outdoors, ability to lift 15-20 pounds, ability to pull trailer of supplies weighing approx. 50 pounds (trailer provided by SF Bicycle Coalition);
- Ability to stand, walk and move about for up to 8 hours at a time;
- Is punctual, dependable, and able to follow instructions and incorporate feedback;
- Experience working with underserved communities desired;
- Experience with our Bicycle Education program is a plus.
Pay is $18/hour.
How to Apply:
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit by clicking “Apply for Position” below. Be sure to mention where you saw the position advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply via mail, please enclose your resume and cover letter in a sealed envelope and mail to:
San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
1720 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
You are also welcome to drop the envelope off in-person.
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition:
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to transform San Francisco’s streets and neighborhoods into safe, just and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. Our work is guided by our five-year strategic plan and the core values of Transportation Justice, Sustainability, People Power and Joy. The organization’s culture reflects its grassroots origins and professional advocacy in equal measures. Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safe, sustainable and more affordable ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco.