The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is seeking a seasoned, effective organizer to work on expanding bicycling and bicycle infrastructure in San Francisco. If you are passionate about bicycling, this is your chance to help improve the lives of San Franciscans.
Hours: Full time. Hours may be flexible. Position will entail some work on weeknights and weekends in order to attend community meetings and events.
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
Through day-to-day advocacy, education and working partnerships with government and community agencies, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is dedicated to creating safer streets and more livable communities for all San Franciscans by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation.
Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safer, greener and more efficient ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco. Our members donate over 10,000 volunteer hours a year.
You will work with all parts of the organization, including staff and members, to develop and win support for key bicycling infrastructure improvements. This work will entail working closely with community groups, businesses and elected officials to develop grassroots and grasstops support for new and improved bike infrastructure. You will also be responsible for helping create and support member-led campaigns. You should be comfortable with street-level organizing as well as grasstops outreach.
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to:
- Campaign strategy and outreach for campaigns to build more, better bike infrastructure throughout the city;
- Organizing on-street and other forms of grassroots outreach;
- Developing and supporting member-led campaigns;
- Working with City agencies and elected officials to advance campaigns;
- Creating new relationships and deepening existing relationships with community partners;
- Representing the organization at public meetings;
- Engaging and communicating with members about our work at all steps in the campaign process;
- Supporting the organization’s political endorsements process for candidates and ballot measures; and
- Hiring and managing a team of diverse interns.
Desired qualifications include:
- A deep commitment to the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition’s mission;
- Written and/or conversational fluency in Spanish, Cantonese or Tagalog;
- Two years of experience as an organizer;
- Strong interpersonal and relational skills;
- An ability to take initiative and lead advocacy efforts within the organization;
- A demonstrated track record of successful project planning, project management, base-building and strategy implementation;
- An ability to work individually and as part of a team;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a wide variety of audiences;
- A strong record of online organizing;
- Experience sourcing and managing a diverse cohort of interns and volunteers; and
- The desire and ability to implement systems that will allow your work to scale quickly and significantly to maximize your impact.
Salary and Benefits
The annual salary for this exempt position is lower-$40Ks or higher, depending upon relevancy of experience. Full-time benefits include medical, vision and dental insurance.
How to Apply
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit them by clicking “Apply for Position” below. Be sure to mention where you saw the opening advertised. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply via mail, please enclose your resume and cover letter in a sealed envelope and mail to:
c/o San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
1720 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
You are also welcome to drop off an application in-person during regular weekday office hours.
UPDATE: We are no longer accepting applications for the community organizer position. If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.