The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 40 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
Women Bike SF is a SF Bicycle Coalition program that aims to encourage and inspire more women, trans* and femme identified individuals to ride bikes with social events, rides and workshops.
The Women Bike SF Intern will gain experience in program management and community organizing that aims to connect more women to bicycling in San Francisco. You will gain hands-on professional development and valuable experience in communications, outreach, and event planning for a thriving nonprofit organization.
What you’ll learn:
- How to manage, expand and evaluate a new program designed to connect more women to bicycling
- Outreach and community-building skills
- Marketing and communication skills
- Hands-on experience using a data-rich Contact Relationship Management (CRM) system (Salesforce)
- Hands-on, resume-building experience in the membership and development field
Responsibilities and duties include (but are not limited to):
- Represent the SF Bicycle Coalition and engage with a variety of community groups at events, fairs, trainings, as needed
- Assist with event coordination, planning and logistics of Women Bike SF events and workshops
- Write and edit social media, blog articles and ongoing marketing content for Women Bike SF programs and events
- Assist with the management of member and constituent accounts, including data entry, account updates and logging of event participation and communications.
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Be a self-starter able to take initiative on individual projects
- Interest in bicycle advocacy campaigns and membership management
- Cheerful, friendly, upbeat outlook
- Professional, responsible demeanor
Desired skills or abilities:
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Salesforce
- Experience with Adobe products (Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign) with basic graphic design knowledge
- Be familiar with biking in San Francisco
Required dates for this internship include:
- January 2016: First day orientation (exact day TBD)
- Thursday, May 12, 2016: Bike to Work Day
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Firsthand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry standard software (Salesforce, Basecamp, etc.)
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills
- Indoor bike parking provided
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.