The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 40 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
The Bicycle Advocacy Intern will support our Advocacy Team, with a focus on engaging our members in all phases of our street campaign work. This will include using our various communication channels (website, blog posts, social media and emails) mixed with on-the-ground outreach and in-office research to build support for new and improved bike infrastructure throughout San Francisco.
What you’ll learn:
- Various stages of winning a street campaign, including internal City planning, public outreach, environmental review, detailed design review and City approvals
- Strategies to engage a large membership and the community at-large to build support for bike infrastructure in San Francisco
- The inner workings of various City agencies and what bicycle advocacy looks like in City Hall through meeting with project managers, elected officials and/or other decision makers
Responsibilities and duties include (but are not limited to):
- Assisting Advocacy Team with grassroots outreach, which may include streetside outreach or phone calls and emails to individual members
- Attending a variety of meetings to take notes and make public comment, as needed
- Assisting Advocacy Team with research to strengthen our knowledge base
- Drafting content for emails and our blog regarding our advocacy work
- Data entry for tracking campaign progress
Required skills or abilities:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in public and professional settings
- Some experience and/or knowledge of copy editing to produce high-quality communications
- Ability to work on tasks independently, set personal and professional goals and manage time productively
Desired skills or abilities:
- Ability to get around the city to attend meetings and/or perform outreach
- Comfortable riding a bike in an urban environment
- Passion for making San Francisco a better city for living and biking
Required dates for this internship include:
- Summer intern orientation; date TBD
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- First-hand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry standard software (Salesforce, Basecamp, etc.)
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills
- Indoor bike parking provided
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-15 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.