The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to promote bicycling for everyday transportation. Our member-based grassroots organization is considered one of the largest, most active and effective advocacy groups in the country. For more than 40 years, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a proven track record of winning better bicycling improvements.
The Bicycle Education Intern will gain firsthand experience in all aspects of bicycle education programming in one of the largest bicycle advocacy organizations in the country. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is the leading provider of bike safety education in San Francisco, and all of our classes are free and open to the public. We offer year-round classes throughout the city on everything from learning to ride a bike for the first time as an adult, to classes for intermediate riders such as Night and All-Weather Biking. You can learn more about the different classes we offer here.
What you’ll learn:
- Tactics for engaging people from many backgrounds in learning bike safety and confidence on the street
- Program coordination, including constituent outreach & engagement and logistics management.
- How to use non-profit industry-standard databases and applications to engage with a wide audience.
- Skills in developing bicycle education curricula
Responsibilities and duties include (but are not limited to):
- Grassroots outreach with local businesses, neighborhood groups, residents, families and members to coordinate bike education classes
- Assistance with member engagement, database management, email/phone communication
- Class evaluation data compilation and analysis
Required skills or abilities:
- Extremely strong written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized and self-starter; ability to take on new tasks quickly and easily
- Comfort riding a bike in an urban environment
- Passion for making San Francisco a better city for living and biking
Desired skills or abilities:
- Experience in education programming or outreach
- Fluency in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, or Filipino/Tagalog
- Graphic design skills and experience (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Experience with Salesforce or other databases, Google Apps (Docs, Calendar, Gmail, etc.), Eventbrite, WordPress and/or SurveyMonkey helpful but not required
Required dates for this internship include:
- Some weekend dates, TBD, for Bike Ed Outreach
- Intern Orientation Day – June 11, 2020
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Firsthand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry-standard software (Salesforce, Basecamp, etc.)
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills
- Indoor bike parking provided
This unpaid internship offers a flexible schedule with a 10-20 hour/week minimum commitment. This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended. While the position is not paid, we are happy to work with any academic requirements the intern may have to help them earn course credit for their efforts.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form link provided below. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.