The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is transforming our streets and neighborhoods into safe, just, and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. We’re seeking a highly-motivated advocate to power this crucial work by advancing and winning support for key bicycling infrastructure improvements in line with our strategic plan.
The part-time Campaign Coordinator will be a part of our experienced Advocacy Team and help advance and win support for major bike projects. In particular, this person will support our campaign for Better Market Street by working directly with members, stakeholders, City staff and elected officials to win critical bike improvements on our city’s premier boulevard.
Applications will be reviewed starting on Monday, June 10, 2019 and considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The ideal candidate would start in mid-July 2019.
Primary areas of responsibility:
- Working directly with City staff to track progress and meet deadlines for City-led bike projects, including Better Market Street
- Engaging and communicating with members (e.g. drafting content for emails and blogs) about our work and all steps in the campaign process
- Ensuring high turnout and support at public meetings for bike projects
- Attending a variety of public meetings to take notes and make public comment
- Data entry for tracking campaign progress
- Assisting Advocacy Team with grassroots outreach, which may include streetside outreach or phone calls and emails to members and stakeholders
- Assisting advocacy team with research to strengthen our knowledge base
Strong candidates will possess as many of the following qualifications as possible:
- Commitment to our Strategic Plan goals, and Core Values, including Transportation Justice
- Prior experience with community-based outreach and engagement
- Ability to get around the city to attend meetings and perform outreach
- Comfort riding a bike in an urban environment
- Passion for making San Francisco a better city for living and biking
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in public and professional settings
- Ability to work on tasks independently, set personal and professional goals and manage time productively
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin)
Salary and Benefits: The hourly rate is $20/hour.
Hours: This is a contractor position of 15-20 hours per week with a duration of approximately six months. The position will require some work on weeknights and weekends in order to attend community meetings and events.
Reports to: Senior Community Organizer.
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to transform San Francisco’s streets and neighborhoods into safe, just and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. Our work is guided by our five-year strategic plan and the core values of Transportation Justice, Sustainability, People Power and Joy. The organization’s culture reflects its grassroots origins and professional advocacy in equal measures. Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safe, sustainable and more affordable ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco.
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.