UPDATE: Thank you for your interest in working for the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. This hiring process is closed and we are no longer accepting applications for the community organizer position. If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is transforming our streets and neighborhoods into safe, just, and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. We’re seeking a passionate, highly motivated community organizer to power our advocacy work in San Francisco, with a focus on the eastern and southern neighborhoods of our city.
This position reports to the Advocacy Director and works collaboratively on a team of four to win grassroots, member-driven campaigns and policies that make San Francisco neighborhoods a better, more fun and more safe places to ride a bicycle. Our community organizers regularly facilitate and attend meetings with SF Bicycle Coalition members, community leaders, City staff and elected officials to win visionary improvements that redesign streets for people and connect the city with high-quality bicycle and pedestrian street safety infrastructure.
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and acknowledges the role biking culture and transportation has played in disproportionate access and resources to underserved communities — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ+ people. We believe that these communities must be centered as leaders in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities.
- Developing and implementing campaign strategy and community engagement to build more, better bike infrastructure throughout the city, with a focus on eastern and southern neighborhoods including the Mission, Bayview-Hunters Point and the Excelsior;
- Leading grassroots and field outreach for street campaigns, including 1-on-1 meetings, phone banking, and on-street outreach;
- Working with City agencies and elected officials to advance campaigns;
- Using our multiple communications channels (including emails, blogs and social media) to keep members and allies engaged in and knowledgeable about our work;
- Representing the organization at public meetings, including City Hall hearings;
- Collaborating across the organization, especially with our Program Team, which leads our bicycle education, Bike It Forward, and youth and family biking programs;
- Working with our membership team to develop and implement a strategy to build a stronger membership base in outer neighborhoods.
Strong candidates will possess as many of the following qualifications as possible:
- A deep commitment to the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition’s mission;
- Interest in and passion for transportation equity, justice, and antiracism;
- Written and/or conversational fluency in Spanish, Cantonese or Tagalog;
- Two or more years of experience as an organizer;
- Strong interpersonal and relational skills with a desire to do people-centered work;
- An ability to take initiative and lead advocacy efforts within the organization;
- A demonstrated track record of successful project planning, project management, base-building and strategy implementation;
- An ability to work individually and as part of a team;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a wide variety of audiences;
- A strong record of online organizing;
- Experience sourcing and managing a diverse cohort of interns and volunteers; and
- The desire and ability to implement systems that will allow your work to scale quickly and significantly to maximize your impact.
Salary and Benefits: The annual salary for this exempt position is $50,000-$56,000 range depending on depth of experience. Full-time benefits include excellent medical, vision and dental insurance with no employee contribution, as well as three weeks of Paid Time Off, two weeks of sick leave, a telecommuting stipend and a flexible work arrangement policy.
Hours: Full-time. Hours may be flexible. Position will entail some work on weeknights and weekends in order to attend community meetings and events.
Reports to: Janice Li, Advocacy Director
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to transform San Francisco’s streets and neighborhoods into safe, just and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. Our work is guided by our five-year strategic plan and the core values of Transportation Justice, Sustainability, People Power and Joy. The organization’s culture reflects its grassroots origins and professional advocacy in equal measures. Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safe, sustainable and more affordable ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco.