May is Bike Month and once again we’ve jammed the calendar with a huge variety of events to get you out on your bike. In honor of Bike to Work Day on May 14, San Francisco is celebrating with a full month of “Bike to… Everything” events. Here are our 10 favorite events coming up, in chronological order:
1. Bike to Bookstores (May 2): On California Bookstore day, visit some of SF’s most vibrant bookstores. Treats, discounts, good conversation and pages upon pages of food for thought.
2. Bike to Coffee (May 8, May 22): WomenBikeSF hosts monthly coffee clubs and other events in hopes of inspiring more women, trans* women and female-identified people to bike. Since May is Bike Month, we’re hosting two!
3. Bike About the Zoo (May 3): Have you ever wanted to ride a bicycle around the zoo before it opens? The San Francisco Zoo and Supervisor Katy Tang are leading a bike ride where you’ll get to do just that!
4. E-Bike to the Highest Hills (May 9): Glide easily up San Francisco’s highest hills on a fun guided tour using pedal-assist electric bicycles. Who woulda thunk?
5. Bike to Work Day (May 14): Come on out for San Francisco’s biggest biking day for the year, and be sure to pedal by one of our 25 Energizer Stations across the city for free goodies, coffee and high fives!
6. Bike to Remember: Ride of Silence 2015 (May 20): A group ride to honor those that have been injured or killed while biking. This ride, which takes place in over 50 countries each May, sends a powerful message for the need to make our streets safer — which is why Vision Zero is so critical.
7. Bike to Camping (May 21): Pedal Inn and Huckleberry Bikes team up to share the awesome possibilities for bike camping in the Bay Area, including how to get started, great destinations and the best gear at their workshop, “Local Travels: An Intro to Camping by Bike.”
8. Bike to Shop (May 23) Support local merchants for a day of special promotions, discounts and schwag for people who shop by bike. We’ll also give away prizes for the best photos of the biggest and zaniest purchases you haul on your bike submitted over Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with #biketoshop.
9. Bike to Playgrounds (May 23): Meet other families biking with little ones as we explore several playgrounds in and around Golden Gate Park. This ride is perfect for folks using trailers, tag alongs or bike seats for their babies and toddlers.
10. Bike to Record Stores (May 24) Get your vinyl fix with SF Bicycle Coalition member and music industry veteran David Katznelson on this two-wheeled tour of San Francisco’s best record stores.
Those may be our top 10, but it’s really just the beginning! Keep checking back to sfbike.org/events for more. And we want to know your biking ideas, so tell us on Twitter and Instagram all the places you’re biking with #ibiketo. Be sure to give us a shout-out @sfbike while you’re at it!
Membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition supports our advocacy and also gets you discounts at 70+ businesses across San Francisco as well as access to fun, free events all year round! Join the SF Bicycle Coalition today.