The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is transforming our streets and neighborhoods into safe, just, and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. We’re seeking a passionate, highly-motivated individual to power our work focused on San Francisco’s diverse population of young people and families, encouraging and empowering them to incorporate active transportation into their lives.
You will have the opportunity to help transform the lives of countless SF families, working with our staff of over 20 and an active membership of 10,000 passionate people who bike. The SF Bicycle Coalition works in collaboration with several city and regional agencies to promote biking to school, through the SF Safe Routes to School Partnership and other programs. This position will help identify barriers to biking for families from diverse backgrounds across the city. Based on this information, the Program Coordinator will create and execute strategies to reach students at SF’s 103 public schools and its many private schools. They will also organize community events open to all families to deepen the impact of school-related outreach and encouragement activities.
This position reports to the Program Director and works collaboratively on a team of five to bring high-quality, culturally competent programming to SF that aims to dismantle barriers to biking for everyone sharing our streets.
- Work directly with parents, teachers, and school administrators to develop and implement locally-appropriate campaigns and projects that significantly increase walking and biking to school and that develop a school-wide culture of walking and biking;
- Collaborate with city agencies and non-profit partners to develop strategies for and execute the deliverables of the SF Safe Routes to School program;
- Lead the organization of the annual Bike & Roll to School Week, engaging at least 100 schools annually;
- Organize and/or lead outreach, trainings and events for families and youth of many backgrounds to encourage walking and biking;
- Coordinate with Youth and Family Biking programs across the region that are offering encouragement and education events;
- Help identify and secure additional opportunities and resources to encourage family biking;
- Work collaboratively with fellow Program Team members to ensure that efforts in Adult Bicycle Education, Bike it Forward events, and other programs complement and augment each other;
- Work with the Advocacy Team to identify local infrastructure needs to ensure the safety of students walking and biking, and to identify parent champions to involve in these campaigns;
- Further develop the SF Bicycle Coalition’s family biking program offerings, to reach more families more effectively;
- Assist our members and the general public with family-oriented questions and other inquiries;
- Complete all contract administration related to the program.
Candidates must possess the following key qualifications:
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills;
- An ability to work individually and as part of a team;
- High degree of cultural competence;
- At least two years of experience as a community organizer or educator, preferably working with youth and/or families;
- Experience planning and implementing programs, events, or complex projects;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Flexibility and adaptability to evolving responsibilities;
- Skill and experience with Google apps, MS Office, and other common office applications.
Strong candidates will also possess the following preferred qualifications:
- A commitment to and passion for the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition’s mission and core values, including transportation justice;
- Strong familiarity with walking and biking education curriculum for parents and children;
- Experience with Transportation Demand Management (TDM), behavior-change work, or community-based social marketing;
- Experience with data analytics and Salesforce (or other CRM);
- Bilingual language skills in English and another language, especially Spanish and Cantonese;
- Experience working in or with a school system, preferably within the SFUSD;
- Experience managing grant and/or contract deliverables;
- Experience managing project budgets;
- Proven ability to research and plan long-term base-building strategies;
- Flexibility to work mornings, nights and weekends; this position may require approximately three to seven early mornings per month and one-to-three weekend days monthly.
Salary and Benefits: The annual salary for this exempt position is $46,000-$52,000 depending on depth of experience. Full-time benefits include excellent medical, vision and dental insurance.
Hours: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Program Director
About the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition works to transform San Francisco’s streets and neighborhoods into safe, just and livable places by promoting the bicycle for everyday transportation. Our work is guided by our five-year strategic plan and the core values of Transportation Justice, Sustainability, People Power and Joy. The organization’s culture reflects its grassroots origins and professional advocacy in equal measures. Our active membership of over 10,000 represents San Franciscans of all ages and backgrounds from all neighborhoods who are working towards safe, sustainable and more affordable ways to move around our city. The SF Bicycle Coalition is the largest city-based bicycle advocacy group in the nation and one of the largest member-driven groups in San Francisco. People of all races and genders are encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.